Tuesday, December 18, 2012

To the Survivors of Newtown, CT

I know I just stated in my previous blog post that I wouldn't be writing until 2013.  But I want to briefly remark about the events of last Friday.  God just laid something on my heart again from the book I just read this morning.  In this book, The Purpose of Christmas, Rick Warren shares the full "Serenity Prayer."  I never knew there was more to that poem and prayer than the first few lines.  What a shame that it is rarely quoted and printed in its entirety--the rest is pretty great, too.  The events of last Friday have shocked and appalled me on a new level.  I keep thinking of all the children, teachers, and staff who survived, and all the hurting families of the ones who were senselessly murdered last Friday.  I pray the following "Serenity Prayer" for them all.  What a horrific thing to endure at Christmastime. 

To the survivors:  God is with you, even if it feels He has abandoned you.  He will make this right, even if it isn't in your timing.  I pray the Emmanuel of Christmas makes Himself known to you all--to each and every person involved, affected, and hurt by this incident.  The "Emmanuel" of Christmas, the "God with us," is exactly what you need and deserve at this time. Blessings and healing to you all.

Signed,
Stephanie Teagarden
Former Educator and Blogger

The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.  Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments that are positive or conducive to constructive thought. Violators posting harmful remarks will be reported as spam and will have their posts deleted.